Gluten Free Marrow Chutney Recipe
Tangy and crunchy, this gluten-free marrow chutney is a brilliant way to use up marrows in Autumn. Served with Cheese, cold meats and a side to curries its very versatile. A definite must, great to give as Christmas presents.
What do you need?
- 1.5kg or 3lb 5oz marrow peeled, de-seeded and chopped into sugar cubed size pieces
- 225g or 8ozshallots finely chopped
- 225g or 8oz cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
- 225g or 8oz sultanas
- 2cm piece fresh ginger finely chopped
- 225g or 8oz brown sugar
- 12 black peppercorns
- 850ml cider vinegar
What do you do?
- Cut marrow into bite-size pieces, sprinkle with salt, cover and leave for 12 hours
- Rinse and drain the marrow
- Place the marrow and remaining ingredients into a large pan, mix well
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally
- Chutney will be ready when it has a thick consistency
- Spoon into sterilised jars, label and keep in a cool dark place for up to three months
- Once opened keep in the fridge and use within 6 weeks
If you like chutneys, then make sure you check out my gluten free green tomato and spicy pumpkin recipes.