Gluten-Free Fish Cakes Recipe
These fish cakes need a bit of preparation but are totally worth it. I find that chilling the mixture makes it easier to work with. They can be served as a starter or be the main course for a dinner party. I serve them with a sweet chilli sauce and a crunchy salad at any time of the year.
Depending on how big you make your fishcakes this recipe can make 8-1o cakes.
- 320g ( 11 ounces) fresh fish, I used smoked cod
- 1 medium onion or three spring onions finely chopped
- 450g (16 ounces) potatoes
- 75g (3 ounces) frozen sweetcorn, defrosted
- 60g (2 ounces) plain gluten-free flour
- 1 handful cheddar cheese, grated
- 100ml (3 fl oz) milk
- 1 egg beaten
- Italian herbs
- Salt & Pepper
- Cook the potatoes, mash them and allow them to cool
- Cook the fish and onion in the milk per its instructions, drain the milk, leave to cool
- In a bowl gently mix, potato, onion, fish, beaten egg, sweetcorn, flour, herbs, salt & pepper, cheese
- Make the mixture into desired sized fishcakes and put into the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour
- I push the mixture into a 2-inch pastry cutter as a mold ( the sort used to cut out mince pies) onto grease-proof paper
- After chilling heat oil up to fry either in a frying pan or a deep fat fryer. Fry until golden brown and sizzling. Mine takes about 6-8 minutes.
- Serve immediately with sweet chilli sauce and salad.