Gluten Free Spicy Pumpkin And Apple Chutney Recipe
Cheese is my weakness… this gluten free Spicy Pumpkin And Apple Chutney is so tasty and easy to make. It goes well with cheeses, crusty bread and cold meats, I have even been known to add it to a vegetable curry.
Great to make in the Autumn time when there is often a glut of ingredients. Enjoy.
Spicy Pumpkin and Apple Chutney
What do you need?
- 2 large white onions
- 100g Or 4cm piece fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 15 Cardamom pods bashed open
- 2 Long cinnamon sticks, snapped in two
- 1 Tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 Teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 Large garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 1kg Pumpkin peeled and cut into sugar cubed pieces to size and then roasted
- 500g Or 3 large Bramley apples peeled and cut into sugar cubed size pieces
- 1 Teaspoon ground Turmeric
- 500g Brown sugar
- 300ml Cider vinegar
What do you do?
- Fry the finely chopped onions, ginger, chilli, bashed cardamom, mustard and cumin seeds together for around five minutes. Keep stirring to prevent burning
- Add in crushed garlic, pumpkin and apples and stir for 10-15 minutes until all are soft
- Stir in Turmeric and brown sugar letting it melt in
- Pour in the vinegar, add cinnamon sticks and season with 1 teaspoon salt, bring back to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes stirring regularly. Will be done when thick and brown
- Spoon into sterilised jars, label and store in a cool dark place for up to 6 months
- Once opened keep in the fridge and use within 6 weeks