Gluten Free Custard & Apple Crumble Pots Recipe
Yummy pudding for both Winter and Summer as it can be served hot or cold. The sharpness of the cooking apple is balanced out perfectly by the creamy custard and crumbly topping. A great one for the children too.
Not too keen on apple then just add your own fruit, blackberries, pears, apricots all work well too.
Makes 5-6 pots.
What do you need?
- 150 g (5 ounces) Gluten free plain flour
- 70 g ( ( 2.5 ounces) butter
- 150 g ( 5 ounces) demerara sugar
- 2-3 large brambly cooking apples
- Zest of 1 orange
- 400g (14 ounces) tin of custard (or you can make your own)
- 1 tablespoon flaked almonds
- For the custard
- 200 ml ( 7 fl oz) double cream
- 700 ml ( 1 pint ) whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 80 g ( 3 ounces) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Make your own custard – what do you do?
- Put milk and cream in a pan and gently heat to just below boiling point.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yokes, cornflour, sugar, and vanilla.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the sugar mixture stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture back into the saucepan and heat gently until it is thick, stirring out any lumps.
Custard recipe: the BBC Good Food website https:/www.bbcgoodfood.com
What do you do?
- Heat oven 180 c (160 c fan) or Gas 4.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter to resemble breadcrumbs.
- Stir in half the sugar.
- Place apples in a saucepan with the rest of sugar and orange zest and 2 tbsp cold water.
- Cover the pan and cook for around 10 minutes until soft.
- Divide custard between 6 ovenproof dishes, top with stewed apple, and sprinkle with crumble mixture pat topping down gently and scatter with flaked almonds.
- Bake 25 minutes, serve hot or cold.