This loaf is wonderfully colourful, filling and tasty. The feta cheese gives a slightly salty flavour while the squash and spinach keep the loaf moist.
Eat it with cold meats, salad or soup for a warming meal on a cold day. Its best after the first day to heat it before eating and finish within three days.
Different variations can be tried I like olives and sun-dried tomatoes.
What do you need?
- 125 g ( 4.5 ounces) grated butternut squash
- 100 g ( 3.5 ounces) feta cheese
- 50 g ( 2ounces) Parmesan cheese
- 50 g ( 2 ounces) young spinach
- 300 g ( 10 ounces) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 250 ml ( 9fl oz) milk
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chopped Rosemary
- Sprinkle of pumpkin seeds
What do you do?
- Heat oven to 180 c or Gas 4 and grease a 900 g loaf tin.
- Grate butternut squash, crumble in feta, and Parmesan into a large mixing bowl.
- Tear spinach and add to bowl.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Put milk into a jug and beat in two eggs.
- Mix gently, add black pepper, and snip up Rosemary.
- Pour mixture into a greased loaf tin and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for an hour, check middle is cooked by pushing a skewer in if it comes out clean then it’s cooked. If not put back in for five minutes.